May 29, 2019
Join the Perdido Key Community for a World Oceans Day Event on the beach on Friday, June 7, 2019, at the Perdido Key State Park West Use Area from 10 AM to 2 PM.
PERDIDO KEY, FLA. May 29, 2019 — World Oceans Day is an opportunity for people around our blue planet to celebrate and honor the oceans which connect us all. Since 1992 the event has drawn attention to the benefits and wonders of the oceans, but also to threats to ocean health. Working together, we can and will protect our shared ocean! Join sponsors Perdido Key Association, Florida State Parks, Friends of Pensacola State Parks, Perdido Key Rotary Club, Visit Pensacola, and Perdido Key Area Chamber of Commerce on Friday, June 7, 2019, World Oceans Day Event at Perdido Key State Park from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. We will be educating, celebrating and sharing perspectives to help us better understand and protect our oceans.
“We believe the event is a great opportunity for an entertaining and educational trip to the beach,” says Charles Krupnick, president of the Perdido Key Association. “Groups and individuals are welcome to visit the Perdido Key State Park West Use Area on June 7 at no charge where we believe all ages will appreciate and enjoy the many participating activities celebrating our oceans.”
You can expect to see the following ocean-focused displays and activities at the Perdido Key World Oceans Day Event, right on the beach!
- Discovery Depot from Navarre Beach Marine Science Station will feature a hands-on “touch-tank” containing a variety of marine creatures plus displays on artificial reefs, marine debris, and other ocean topics – accompanied by educators from the Santa Rosa School District.
- Florida State Park/Americorps personnel will address sea turtle nesting, beach mice and exotic plants.
- Audubon representatives will provide information on shorebirds.
- Escambia County Natural Resources Management Department will feature an activity on lionfish concerns.
- Gulf Islands National Seashore representatives will be on site and a visit by Monty – a rescued screech owl under the care of the Northwest Florida Wildlife Sanctuary – is expected.
- The Emerald Coast Kite Flyers Club will have colorful kites in the air and the Paradise Sandman (sand sculpture artist David Robertson) will build one of his fanciful creations on the beach and contribute his expertise to instruct young people on sand sculpting as well as help with the sand sculpture competition.
- Artwork from students at Helen Caro Elementary School will be on display honoring the creatures and bounty of our world oceans.
The World Oceans Day event will be on Friday, June 7, 2019, from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the Perdido Key State Park West Use Area located at 15301 Perdido Key Drive Pensacola, FL 32507. Parking and Admission will be free with ADA restrooms available. The Perdido Key Association (PKA) is a sponsor of The Ocean Conservancy events and supports 1000 Friends of Florida. For more information about Perdido Key’s World Oceans Day Event, go to perdidokeyassociation.org or contact Charles Krupnick at firstname.lastname@example.org or (334) 482-2843.
Perdido Key World Oceans Day Event
Friday, June 7, 2019 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Perdido Key State Park- West Use Area 15301 Perdido Key Drive Pensacola, FL 32507
Contact:Charles Krupnick, President, Perdido Key Association